Wind turbines are used to harness wind power. There are different types of wind turbines. They are mainly classified as horizontal axis wind turbines and vertical axis wind turbines. Construction and working principles of a wind turbine can be easily understood from a working model. That’s why I am always engaged in making working models of such devices, especially renewable energy harnessing devices. Today we are going to discuss How to Make Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT).
How to Make Vertical Axis Wind Turbine(VAWT) Video
- 4” PVC Pipe 30 cm in length\
- ACP Sheet 30cm in length
- Dynamo 3-5 Volt
- PVC or CPVC Fittings 3T’s and 4 Elbows
- Pieces of PVC or CPVC Pipe
- L-Clamp Steel 4
- Plate washer 2” IN Dia- 2
- GI Nut that suits Dynamo Pulley\
- Connecting Wires
- 3/4” Cycle Screws 30
- Angle Grinder
- Drilling machine
- 6mm drill bit
- Welding machine (optional)
- Spanner set
- Other necessary equipment
How to Make Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT)
- Take PVC Pipe having 4inch diameter and 30 cm length.
- Axially divide it into 4 equal parts using an angle grinder
- Carefully use angle grinder
- Make holes on one side of the PVC using 6mm drill bit
- Cut 4 pieces of ACP Sheet having 30 cm in length and 6 cm in width
- Mark holes on ACP from PVC Pieces and make holes Using 6mm drill bit.
- Buy 4 steel L-clamps and cut it into required length (12 cm * 6 cm) using an angle grinder.
- Take care and wear glasses while using an angle grinder
- Take GI Plate washer 2” in diameter
- Take a GI nut that suits dynamo pulley
- Weld GI Nut at the center of the plate washer
- Then weld all 4 L-Clamps on the plate washer
- Propeller frame is ready.
- Connect ACP Sheets and PVC pieces together using cycle screws.
- Use a spanner to tighten it.
- Then connect these propeller blades on propeller frame.
- Wind turbine propeller is ready.
- Buy PVC or CPVC fittings (4 elbows, 3 T’s).
- Join these components together to make turbine base.
- Connect the wire to the dynamo and fix it on wind turbine base.
- Place propeller on the wind turbine base.
- Vertical axis wind turbine is ready.
- Place the wind turbine in front of a Fan.
- Yeah. It’s working fine
- Check the output voltage using a multimeter.
Vertical axis wind turbine is ready
This vertical axis wind turbine is just a working model. So the output voltage would be very low. If you have a high-performance dynamo and even larger wind turbine propeller you can recharge your smartphone. You can also use a power bank to store the energy generated by the wind turbine.
Recommending to Read: Make small wind turbine (horizontal axis).
Now we have learned to make a vertical axis wind turbine. Now is the time to Make small wind turbine (horizontal axis). Share this DIY Wind turbine Guide with your friends.